Sunday, January 19, 2020

Can't do that again.

This card reminds of a couple of summers fifty or so years ago.  Age fourteen and fifteen, I worked the hardest stretch of work for six weeks both summers.  Corn detasselling.  Up at 4:30 am and drove to a local school and then bused to corn fields an hour or so  away, to pull tassels from corn tops.  Hybrid corn.  Ten hours in the blistering hot sun. Face and arms sun-burnt and cut from the corn stalks and leaves; you had to wear white balm on your face and long sleeved shirts in the insufferable heat. If it had rained you slogged in mud up over your ankles. Then another one and half-two hour journey home.  Where you took a bath, ate a bit of dinner and went to bed. Hard work but I got a decent check with a fair amount for me even after I had to split some with my Mother for driving to and from the school. I loved making money and being outside.  A guide-post for post retirement and extra pocket money work.
Traditional card, the Queen of Pentacles.

2 comments:

  1. Farm work is hard work. It was no wonder my grandparents and others who farmed were not interested in yard work beyond mowing the grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my maternal grands were farmers, sharecroppers, never owned the land. My fraternal grands were farmers when still, migrant farm laborers when they didn't have a home.

    ReplyDelete

Be Well

 My thoughts today are with a friend that is undergoing a major surgery, one that impacts her life. Sending healing energy and loving though...