Sunday, February 10, 2019

Symbols

I often wondered why Waite and other early Occultist placed the four symbols in the corners of The World and The Wheel?  Some say the Four Evangelist, the four Apostles, four symbols of the elements in astrology.   A few years back I visited the Monastery of the Sisters of St. Benedict, an hour or so west of where I live. My sister and I spent part of the day at the chapel and walked the grounds where the Stations of the Cross are located.  Growing up Catholic some of the symbology still speaks to me.  When we first arrived I was astounded to see the Four Apostles on the front of the main entrance. (below) Amazed again at something depicted in different faiths. Another example I think of how the Roman Catholic Church tried to incorporate the Mother Earth practitioners into the fold.  My favorite is St. Patrick chasing out the snakes of Ireland, a.k.a the catholic church forcefully removing the druids.
We need some of the 'Old Ways' to bring us back to the wholeness of The World.

The Rider Wait-Smith Coleman Tarot


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the photo of the monastery symbols! What a treat that must have been.

    ReplyDelete

Be Well

 My thoughts today are with a friend that is undergoing a major surgery, one that impacts her life. Sending healing energy and loving though...